Ahoy, fellow Disney enthusiasts and cruise aficionados! Are you ready to set sail on your next Disney cruise? I have just the thing to help you prepare for your magical cruise —a comprehensive packing list. But this isn’t just any list; it’s sprinkled with pixie dust to help you enjoy every magical moment on board.
I’ve highlighted several packing list items below, with links where you can purchase some items. I have purchased and used most of these items on Disney cruises, so I know that they add to the magical experience!
At the end of this article, you’ll find a link to not just download this Disney Cruise packing list, but you can access the Google sheet, copy it, and save it to your own Google Drive, or to Numbers or Excel. Then have fun making it your own packing list! Or simply save it as a PDF.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
First, let’s cover the bare necessities (cue the Baloo-inspired dance moves).
- Passport/ID: Your golden ticket to international waters.
- Travel Insurance Documents: Because it’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Cruise Reservation Details: Bring your Port Arrival Form to the terminal.
- Cash and Cards: Bring smaller bills for tips for room service, luggage porters, and excursion operators.
- Lanyard: This will hold your Key to the World card, plus your ID to show when you need an adult beverage! Here are some fun cruise lanyards. If you’re in Disney’s Castaway Club, you’ll receive a free lanyard in your stateroom to use.
Plan to immerse yourself in the Disney magic to make your time even more special on your Disney cruise! Here are some fun Disney items to bring.
- Mickey/Minnie Ears: You’ll see a lot of these beauties on your cruise.
- Disney Attire: Bring your best Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars outfits and accessories.
- Costumes: Be ready for themed events, like Pirate night for southern sailings or Frozen night on Alaska voyages!
- Disney Pins for Trading: Yes, pin trading is a thing even at sea. Look for pin boards hanging outside staterooms to trade.
- Autograph Book and Pen / Sharpie: Capture the signatures of your favorite characters.
Capturing the Magic
Whether you are sailing solo or with friends and family, you’ll want to capture every magical moment.
- Camera: Whether it’s a DSLR or your smartphone, just make sure it’s waterproof.
- Portable Charger: You’ll be snapping pics all day; make sure you have the juice for it! Here’s my favorite portable charger.
- If you are an Apple user, this 3-in-1 device charger for your iPhone, AirPods, and Apple watch is great because it only needs 1 USB port or outlet.
- Travel Journal: Preserve your memories by journaling each day about your activities, who you’ve met, and what you still want to do.
Go the Distance
Be like Hercules, and stay healthy and hydrated by bringing these items, so you feel your best as you cruise!
- Sunscreen: In any climate, protecting your skin from the sun is always a good idea, especially when you’re out to sea. Don’t forget the lip balm with SPF, too!
- Sunglasses: Just like you need to protect your skin from the sun, you also need to protect your eyes! Those sunbeams reflecting off the water can be very bright.
- Hat: Use a sun hat, bucket hat, or baseball cap to shield your face from the sun. I love this sun hat for beach days.
- Refillable Water Bottle: Stay hydrated while helping the environment. There are lots of great brands; here’s an insulated water bottle I like.
- Snacks: Pack some Disney-themed or personal favorites. Just make sure they are in their original sealed packaging.
- First Aid Kit: Basic medicines, band-aids, and seasickness pills. You can purchase it all on the ship, but it’s cheaper to bring it yourself.
- Prescription Medications: Don’t forget to pack these to feel your best! Here’s my new favorite pill organizer with a sleek design for a 7-day pill supply.
For Your Stateroom
Make your stateroom more like home with these items to make your stay more comfortable.
- Magnetic hooks: Did you know that your stateroom’s walls and most other surfaces on cruise ships are made of metal? Use magnetic hooks to increase your storage potential by hanging your lanyards, hats, umbrella, bags, and more.
- Battery-operated night light: This is one of my must-pack items! I LOVE this night light that has a magnetic base, pivots, and senses motion. LOVE!!!
- Compact fan: If you like air movement when you sleep, this foldable fan is for you.
- Earplugs: If you’re a light sleeper or are rooming with a snorer, invest in these great earplugs.
- Eye Mask: This eye mask is great for a midday nap when the stateroom isn’t dark (unless you’re in an interior stateroom).
All About Comfort
Last but not least, let’s not forget the basic comforts.
- Comfortable Clothes: Whether you’re playing BINGO or trivia, or busting out your best dance moves at the silent DJ dance party, you want to be comfortable.
- Comfortable Shoes: There will be a lot of walking and exploring, both on and off the ship. Also, consider water shoes like these for hot pool decks or rocky beaches and ocean floors.
- Swimming gear: Bring a bathing suit that you’re comfortable in, because you will want to enjoy the pools and hottubs on the ship! If you’re sailing in warmer climates, you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy beaches as well.
- Layers: Even if you’re sailing in warmer temps, bring a cardigan, hoodie, or sweater for the cooler air-conditioned restaurants, bars, and theaters.
- Light Jacket: For cooler or more windy times on the deck and on excursions.
Let’s Go Exploring
As Mr. Ray says, feel free to explore! Enjoy your shore excursions even more with these items.
- Day bag or beach bag: Handy to have for towels, sunscreen, and all the things you’ll need for a day off the ship.
- Portable Lockbox or Locksack: Especially for solo travelers, this helps ease your mind if you want to enjoy a swim in the ocean. Lock up your valuables in one of these, and secure them to your beach chair.
- Snorkeling gear: You can rent gear on Castaway Cay, but it may not be available if you do a beach day excursion elsewhere.
- Towel Clips: Great to secure your towel to a beach chair on a breezy day.
- Umbrella: In case you get caught in the rain on outdoor excursions. I like this travel umbrella.
- Travel-Size Binoculars: Zoom in for more detail from your sightseeing bus or boat. These are also great to use on the ship when docking in ports. I always enjoy watching the hard-working Disney crew prepare for the ship to dock at Castaway Cay.
It’s nearly time for your cruise, and as Tiana says, you’re almost there! Now it’s time to pack! Here are items you’ll need, and some that I recommend, to help you pack more efficiently and save space.
- Carry-on Bag: Don’t make it too heavy, because you’ll be lugging it around the ship until your stateroom is ready!
- Suitcase: You decide if you prefer hard-sided or soft-sided.
- Packing Cubes: I love to use these! They make packing and unpacking so easy. Use a different color for each person. There are several great brands. I’ve had my eBags for over a decade, and they are great!
- Toiletries Bag: Here’s my favorite one that holds a lot but still manages to be fairly flat.
- Jewelry Case: I love this foldable jewelry bag because it’s thin but still holds a lot, and it’s so soft!
Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
“There’s a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of every day
There’s a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow’s just a dream away.”
Songwriters: Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman
This packing list will help you be organized and ready when it comes time to pack for your cruise. I enjoy packing, and I want you to enjoy it as well! It’s the start of your vacation, after all!
To aid in amping up the excitement and anticipation, I have created some fun Disney cruise playlists. I love playing this music in the weeks (okay, who am I kidding, months!) leading up to my cruise, and especially when I’m packing.
Enjoy one or all of these playlists!
- Disney Cruise playlist (for any type of sailing)
- Disney Very Merrytime Cruise playlist
- Marvel Day at Sea Cruise playlist
- Disney NOLA Cruise playlist (that’s New Orleans, Louisiana!)